Monday, August 23, 2010

Psalm 142 – When in Trouble: Speak Up to the Lord

There is a saying in the military – “Never complain down in the ranks. If you have an issue or complaint, complain up the chain-of-command.” Those under your rank, have less power (positional authority) – for all you sociologist out there - to affect a change that can help you in your situation. Even those at your rank, generally speaking, can’t affect a change either. King David, often found himself in places that were not comfortable. (intentionally understated) Unlike us in Western Civilization, he was concerned about losing his life… King David knew who to talk up to & we should too:
Vs 2 – “I pour out my complaint before him; before him I tell my trouble.”
Vs 5 – “I cry to you, O LORD; I say, ‘You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.’”
Vs 8 – “Listen to my cry, for I am in desperate need; rescue me from those who pursue me…”
To those of us who know the Lord, who are serving him and obeying his commands, it is a comfort to know “…. it is you who know my way. In the path where I walk men have hidden a snare for me…” vs 3. I am not taking to the folks that create their own trials through disobedience and the consequences that stem from those poor choices. You will need to get that right by asking for forgiveness from the LORD before you can have confidence he is with you. But, for those of us that find ourselves in a place of trial through no fault of our own… HE is our help and our hope! WE need to acknowledge our place, our rank, and remember how great HE is:
Isaiah 66.1 & 2
“This is what the Lord says: ‘Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where is the house you will build for me? Where will my resting place be? Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?’ declares the Lord. ‘This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.’”
Psalm 34:18
“The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”

No comments:

Post a Comment